Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Baking



I officially accomplished homemade, chocolate chip, gluten-free, vegan banana bread :) I saw a few dead bananas and instantly thought of my childhood. Only this time I followed a new recipe which you can find here. Although I changed it up just a little bit so I will post below. 
Ingredients:
(I changed the the flour to the flours I usually cook with when I bake something)
1 cup garbanzo flour
1 cup of sweet sorghum flour

  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon xantham gum
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 2/3 cup agave nectar (I also used a Tbs of coconut oil)
  • 2/3 cup rice milk
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups mashed bananas (about 3)
  • 2 cups chocolate chips

Preparation:
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees and lightly grease a 7 x 4x 3 inch-loaf pan.
  2. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, xantham gum, salt, and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Add 1/2 cup oil and agave nectar, rice milk, and vanilla to dry ingredients and stir until smooth.
  3. Using a plastic spatular gently fold in bananas and chocolate chips.
  4. Fill prepared pan halfway with batter.
  5. Bake on the center rack for 35 minutes, rotating 180 degrees after 20 minutes. Cook until when you press on the loaf is bounces back slightly and a toothpick comes out clean.
  6. Let banana bread sit for 20 minutes before inverting onto a cutting board to cut.
Store at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Tip* Wondering what to do with that left over batter? Place parchment paper on a cookie sheet and smooth remaining batter on top. Cook for 10 minutes at 325 degrees. Cut and enjoy as thin slices of bread! 



No comments:

Post a Comment